Friday, September 11, 2009

Review of My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George

My Side of the Mountain (Mountain, Book 1) My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
My Side of the Mountain is one of the first books I remember reading as a child. Reading this book made me feel powerful. I made me feel that I was in control of my life and that I too could survive if I decided to go out into the woods on my own. All I needed was a few more survival skills.

My sister and I tried out many of the techniques that Sam Gribley mentions in My Side of the Mountain. I remember trying to make a rabbit snare. We spent hours and days trying to find a path in the grass where rabbits run. When we couldn't find that we decided to just try making the snare in preparation for the day that we found the rabbit run.

Time went on. We tried out many of Sam's ideas. We learned a lot about the woods and fields near our home. We never actually stayed out over night. When we were tired, home always seemed the best place to find a bed and hot food but we always knew that someday we could run away like Sam Gribley in My Side of the Mountain.

Read my expanded review of My Side of the Mountain>>

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My kids and I all really love this book, too! It is empowering - and fascinating, too! My favorite thing, I think, that he made was the stove/heater. That's really cool that you and your sister tried to make some of the stuff!! :)